David Burd, better known by his stage name Lil Dicky, is an American rapper and comedian. At the age of 31 Lil Dicky’s net worth is estimated at over $8 million dollars. You might want to watch this video twice as Lil Dicky provides several real ideas on how to reduce your spending and $ave Dat money. For those of you who can’t watch the video *NSFW – I’ve extracted the best of LD’s money saving tips expanded and I have posted them below. Pure Gold.
- I’m the type of motherfucker that’ll check the check. Do the math, I ain’t never gettin’ robbed. Those margaritas not goin’ on my card. – Always double check your grocery bill, bank statements, utilities, insurance and all other invoices. Over the years I have been overcharged by all of the above. It’s more common than you think.
- I ain’t ’bout to split a damn thing for convenience sake. – This might be more cheap than frugal – but if the guy who had six beers, a couple of shots, appetizer, full entree and desert when it was just a quick get together and this person also happens to be the one that recommends to split the bill – You won’t be $aving any of dat money.
- I’ve been saving money since the motherfucker age of 13. Great advice. Time is the great equalizer and when it comes to investing it is crucial, the magic of compound interest relies on it. Start early and stay invested.
- I wear the same pair of jeans everyday. – Saves on laundry and clothing costs. The truth is that most people’s laundry isn’t actually dirty. Most of the clothing that gets washed in the Money Runner’s household could have been worn again. Towels can get used a second time. There is an real opportunity to become more laundry efficient.
- Book flight December but I leave in May. – Sound strategy. However this can work both ways. Some last minute deals can be a bargain. One of the websites that I check out for cheap airfare is YYCDEALS. They have websites for many other cities as well. Check it out.
- Drugs are generic but still work the same. Especially true for people in the US.
- I get login’s for Netflix from my cousin. – Ha! Except I pay the bill and the extended family gets to freeload. Netflix is upping the charge for multiple screens but if this means that you can cut out a $150 cable package then do it.
- I ain’t parkin’ there unless the meter green homie. – You can usually save a few bucks or park for free by looking for spots a couple of blocks away from a popular destination, it’s a double win. $ave Dat Money and maximize your fitness at the same time.
- Hair cut several months in-between homie. – Or cut your own hair at home. It’s not as crazy as you think. Youtube is your friend. Kids haircuts are easy. Men if you’re lucky to have hair, just keep it simple.
- Hit the motherfuckin’ lights when I leave. – Also switch your bulbs to LED. Unplug the devices that draw “vampire” power – like your TV, computer and small appliances, use a power bar to switch these devices off. If you have lights that have two bulbs plugged in – only use one. It’s about efficiency as well as saving money. Win Win.
- Single ply TP ass bleed. They also have this wonderful invention call the bidet. North Americans are suckers, the French invented it and the Japanese perfected it. You can buy a “washlet” or bidet on Amazon for $30. Your life will be changed and your TP expenses will be halved.
- Phone bill got the motherfuckin’ fam on it. – One of the easiest ways to save money is to reduce your monthly cell phone bill. Read about the $20 cell phone plan here.
- 401k rollin’ – 401k is an equivalent to the Canadian RRSP. $ave Dat Money and Maximize your TFSA and RRSP.
- Coppin’ sweaters in the summer, was a sale on ’em. – Another good strategy that could be applied to almost all goods and services. Off season, clearance can be great times to pick up something that you actually need and $ave Dat Money. Remember buying something that you don’t need just because it’s on sale is not saving anything.
- What we do? We gone save that money I ain’t never hit a bar with a cover. This also applies to memberships to places like Costco.
- Low thread count, hard with the covers. – If you know that you are hard on certain things and even when you upgrade to a higher quality and it doesn’t have any effect on the lifespan – stick with what works for you.
- Free trial memberships – You can also play promos and deals from telecom and utility companies. Use coupon apps and keep track of the regular price of items and only buy when the price of that items is at its best.
- Frequent flying like a motherfuckin’ finch – Rewards cards when used correctly can work well. Spending more for rewards or paying interest on a CC is face punch worthy. Don’t buy more just to get rewards – that’s stupid.
- My AC never doing nothing, blow fans – Keep your heat @ 19
Put a sweater (that you purchased off season) on if you are cold. If you live in Canada there is little to no need for AC. Embrace the heat for a few days of the year.
- Walgreens card shoppin’ all the off brands – I toured a large scale bakery a few years back and what blew my mind was that the brand name goods were exactly the same as the no name stuff. All they did was change the bag. This is 100% true. I was shocked.
- Save every motherfuckin’ roach, tryna smoke. – Use it up. Don’t be a waster. How much of the food you buy gets thrown away? How about that new shirt that was never worn? Reduce waste whenever possible.
- It’s LD, lil boy, Mr. Hand-me-down – Why buy new when you can $ave Dat money. I recently purchased a double kids trailer for my bike at 20% of the retail cost from someone who used it once. The tires still had the factory knubs. Sometimes sites like Kijiji can be sketch but it’s worth to investigate the option before purchasing new.
- Dirty drawers gettin’ worn, can you blame me now? Yes. Don’t do this. Wash your underwear and socks. There is a difference between frugal and cheap. And now you know what it is.
- If you at a restaurant and got an iced coffee. And the waiter been refillin’ that without a word of caution. And you get your fuckin’ bill and you can see ’em double chargin’ For the coffee and you told ’em there’s a problem. Sing a long like Ohh don’t double charge for me for that ‘Cause I might just ask what the ice cube’s worth. What the ice cube’s worth. That’s the only differentiate in making this a non free perk. And I might make work more difficult for you than it need be. So think about it, take a minute let it breathe b. But think about it bro, you saw me get the burger with the bacon on the side. After looking at the price of the side, of just bacon and comparing it to what the difference in a cheeseburger verse the bacon cheeseburger was in making my decision. – Be creative, you may find other ways to save money that is totally legit just by keeping an open mind and doing some quick math. Why pay more for the same thing if all you need to do is purchase it in a different way.
$ave Dat Money